Cdes header

new york fashion study College of Design

Sunday, May 29, 2016

High Line Park

Before embarking on the NY Fashion Study trip I researched non-tourist attractions to do while visiting. I wanted unique experiences that a New Yorker would do. After researching I discovered a place called High Line Park, which was simply a park situated above an industrial part of New York City near Chelsea. The park really sparked my interest because I had watched a TEDTalk in my DES 1101W class this past semester that talked about future solutions for sustainability in cities. In the TEDTalk they discussed the overabundance of population in comparison to land and how they would need to come up with a city that was self-sufficient in the following way, putting farming fields on top of the roofs of buildings. I instantly found a connection between the two which made me eager to visit High Line. I've never seen a park so unique it was almost an escape from the industrial city below, up four sets of stairs and you were on a walk way that spread over a few miles long that was surrounded by greenery on either side. There were various platforms where you could look out, benches, and even stadium seating. It felt like another world. It was a strange feeling to go from the loud city on the ground to such a tranquil environment just above. The best part was being able to witness something so rare and feel as though you were one of the first to see what kind of changes will be happening in the near future.


I would strongly recommend visiting High Line, not only for the stark contrast of a city to a peaceful park, but for the people watching and even the view of the Hudson Bay as you reach the end.

-Mel

No comments :

Post a Comment