Cdes header

new york fashion study College of Design

Monday, May 23, 2016

The Row

I'm the type of person that gets excited by the aesthetics of an interior. I'm actually an interior minor along with my Retail major. This morning I walked into The Row with no expectations and no prior knowledge of the brand. I was pleasantly surprised that not only the lobby but the showroom was my aesthetic taste to a T. Muted hues, minimal design, and a bare interior appealed to all my senses. I wanted to post the whole place on tumblr. Aside from the visual aspects, I was very encouraged that a luxury brand could be anything but a corporate setting. After a little retail soul-searching and a high school internship trapped in a cubicle all summer, I realized a corporate environment wouldn't be the best for me. Not saying all corporate retailers are cubicle prisons, I just personally would feel more comfortable in a smaller company. I had this preconceived idea that smaller retailers couldn't be luxury brands so I was surprised to learn about The Row's structure. I was so inspired when they said they report to designers directly, instead of reporting to the next level up in the "corporate ladder." Along with that I was surprised that Mary-Kate and Ashley were "very much apart of the design process" using the finest fabrics for their collections. The fact that the company is based on the "two core essentials" a white t-shirt and leather leggings, and centered around the idea of "luxury comfort," makes me want to apply right away. The environment and atmosphere of The Row was so incredibly unique and contemporary; it's definitely somewhere I would aspire to work. Thanks to the visit, I have a new found hankering. 

Unfortunately I couldn't take pictures in the showroom because of the new collections of handbags and shoes. Although I could snap one in their minimalistic lobby. The abundance of clean lines and cohesiveness was satisfying. 

Thanks for reading! 

-Mel 

No comments :

Post a Comment