Cdes header

new york fashion study College of Design

Friday, June 3, 2016

Harlem: African American culture

During the NY study tour, I was able to meet up with a friend in Harlem. Harlem is such an amazing place with a lot of history and culture, particular to the African American community. While in Harlem I was able to visit Sylvias, the Apollo, and a few other venues in the heart of Harlem.


Sylvias Soul Food Restaurants 

Sylvia Woods is known as the Queen of soul food, her restaurant is located in the historical village of Harlem and has been there since 1962. Sylvia has so much heart and soul within the African American community, the restaurant even hosts Sunday gospel shows. The menu consists of southern soul food; including items such as, southern fried chicken and grits, sauteed chicken livers, cornmeal dusted catfish, chicken and waffles, and many more delicious soul food items. I had the classic chicken and waffles, and my friend had chicken, greens, and macaroni. If I could eat at this place everyday I would. Obama has even visited Sylvia's. Besides having amazing southern comfort food, Sylvia's also gives back to the community by hosting events, and providing scholarships for college students.





Apollo
Although I didn't get to catch a show, I was so happy to even stand outside of the building of the famous Apollo theater. This theater has seen some of the best acts of all time including,The supremes,  James Brown, Bill Cosby, Lauryn Hill, Mariah Carey, and many more famous acts. The Apollo theater has given many Africans Americans an opportunity to share their talents in America. It was founded in 1913 during segregation between whites and blacks. This theater means so much to the African American community, and I am so happy that I was able to see the building. I plan on going back to NY to actually see a show at the Apollo theater.




No comments :

Post a Comment